Monday, August 1, 2011

Why Can't I See My Nursery Floor?

I can't really see the carpet in my baby girl's nursery.  That could mean one of two things:

1.  We're having some major plumbing or foundation issues.
2.  I was ENORMOUSLY blessed at my baby shower this weekend and am overwhelmed with items to make this baby girl's entrance into this world much easier.

Check this out!  Harlan and I just stared in disbelief for a while!  We are speechless by the generosity of our friends and family.


This shower was not your typical one.  I've mentioned countless times that this pregnancy is a miracle, especially in light of the struggles with infertility and pregnancy loss we've experienced.  Reflecting on God's goodness to us was a theme of this shower, and boy, I was thankful I kept my emotions fairly in check and didn't "ugly cry" all over the place.  What an amazing day of celebration (and yummy food, I might add).  Here's a few snapshots of the day:

A few of the mom's-to-be, in order of due date. 


The adorable blanket made by Sleepytime Rags that matches the artwork Harlan designed!

The grandmothers (Mema & Gammy)

Baking: 

I made that evil peanut butter pie I posted last week.  Why am I calling the pie names, you ask?  IT WAS SO GOOD!  I am my own worst critic when it comes to my baking, but I can tell you, this one's a keeper.  I have GOT to start taking pictures before it's too late.  Unfortunately, the only evidence of this pie is an empty pie pan...So delicious, it just has to be wrong.

For my amazing shower hostesses, I knew I wanted to make something special.  I found a great recipe for banana bread, which can be pretty boring, and spruced it up a bit.

The recipe calls for dusting the pan with cinnamon and sugar first, which peeked my interest right away.  It also called for sour cream, which made the bread super yummy and moist.

Recipe:  Allrecipes Sour Cream Banana Bread

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I used mini disposable loaf pans and had Harlan design the cutest label for them.  I hope the ladies who worked so hard on this shower felt the love in every banana-cinnamon-sugar bite!



Still More To Come!

This weekend, I get to help my grandparents celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary!  Pretty amazing, huh?  The next day, I have another baby shower to look forward to!  I'm seriously one blessed mama-to-be!

"Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see—
         how good God is..." Psalm 34:8 (The Message)

1 comment:

  1. i love it! i'm so ocd that i've organized the closet today and washed everything. not having a job helps.

    ReplyDelete