Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Maternity Photo Shoot

We had a great time with Tanya from Cozy Impressions Photography last weekend.  We went around to a bunch of spots on South Congress, one of my favorite parts of town.  If you'd like to check out the pictures, go here.   Check them out quickly - the slide show expires August 23rd!

Tanya will be photographing our baby girl just days after she's born, and again at 6 and 12 months.  I had something like this in mind for her "on camera" outfit:



Who can resist ruffle-butt bloomers?  Have mercy...

Peanut Butter Surprises - Success!

Thank you, Martha, for yet another successful recipe.  If you like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, you'll love these cookies.  A lot.  I found them fairly easy to make, but as you can see, mine didn't show off the peanut butter surprise nearly as well as Martha's.  I packed as much peanut butter in there as I could without it becoming a part of the chocolate.  Overall, this would be a great homemade gift at Christmas or when you're in desperate need for a chocolate fix.  



The Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie Dilemma 

 

A few years ago, Harlan and I celebrated a friend's birthday at Z' Tejas.  That night, I had the MOST delicious Coconut Cream Pie I've ever had.  The chef doesn't make it all the time, and the recipe varies from location to location (I tried it at another one, and I was very disappointed).  Ever since, I've wondered how to make it.  Before trying this pie, the only coconut cream pie I had was at Luby's Cafeteria.  Not high on my list of desserts to eat. 

What made this pie special:
- Coconut Crust - The crust of this pie was almost chewy, cookie-like, and made completely of coconut. 
- Flavor - The pie just oozed coconut flavor.  Some coconut cream pies taste more like pastry cream than coconut.
- Other - You know that nameless factor some things have that you can't quite put your finger on?  This pie had it!

And so, I've been on the hunt.  Shame on you, recipe writers, for using store-bought pie crusts with your coconut pies.  Once you've had that coconut crust, you cannot eat this pie with a store-bought crust. I've now been forced to piece together a pie that may or may not even compare to Z' Tejas.  Only time will tell!

For the crust:  Allrecipes has a crust recipe that sounds just like the one I had, and check out the ingredients:

1.5 cups flaked coconut
Butter

For the filling: I don't know!  I can't seem to find one I'm really happy with.  Here's a few I'm considering:

Emerils's Best Ever Coconut Cream Pie

Epicurious' Coconut Cream Pie

Baking Bites Coconut Cream Pie

Cakespy.com Coconut Cream Pie

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Did You Know?

*There are 53 days left until my due date.  FIFTY THREE DAYS!

*The baby weighs as much as a jicama.  That's 3.75 lbs, for those of you who haven't been weighing your jicamas lately.  By the way, what's a jicama?
* We're already halfway through our birthing class and will be learning about stage 2 & 3 of labor this week.

* I have learned that, when in pain, breathing actually does help a lot.  Now I just have to remember to do it when in labor...

*I don't like Babys R Us, and this baby's not even here yet.  Their coupons really only work on maybe 2 items, and they're rarely the ones I need.  There's more, but I'd have to write a novel to cover it...
Anyone else not a fan?

*My husband turns the lamp on in our baby girl's nursery every night when it gets dark.  Is he not the most precious ever?

More fun, useless facts next week!


3 comments:

  1. I tried to go see yalls picture but the link wouldn't work :( I bet they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't like Babies R Us, you could try Buy Buy Baby. We've gotten most of our stuff there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And congrats on your precious little one! So happy for you...

    ReplyDelete