Thursday, August 25, 2011

Breaking Records at 34 Weeks



It's official, Austinites.  Hottest summer on record.  I just wanted to say it...

If you're having a hard time taking my word for it, just read this article.  Want the short version?  Here's my favorite quote:

"Austin has seen 70 days in triple digit temperatures so far this year, nudging past the previous record of 69 set in 1925. With a week left in August and the rest of the year to go, we’re likely to make this record tough to beat."

*Sigh...

34 Weeks Pregnant

 
This week, baby girl has graduated to the size of a cantaloupe.  On some websites, there's only one fruit size left (queue Jaws music) - A WATERMELON.  Please take a moment to wrap your mind around that.  I've taken many moments, and I still just can't quite go there.

Thoughts at 34 weeks:

-I put on socks a whole new way.  Picture me rolling on to my back with feet in the air to put on socks.  Not a pretty picture, people.

-I would very much like to clean every single portion of my house from top to bottom, as well as reorganize every kitchen cabinet and closet.  I lie awake thinking about it at night.

-I like Babys R Us even less than last week.  Don't ask...

-My husband is joining beard clubs and watching YouTube videos about beard competitions.  I'm beginning to fear he's falling in love with his beard and I may never see his face again. 

-I get to celebrate my sweet friend Jonni this weekend by throwing her a shower for her baby boy or girl.  Rest assured, there will be cupcakes involved.  For the record, I firmly believe she's having a boy.  I believe Jonni will have a house full of boys in a few years!

Coconut Pie - Fail

I have discovered that it is indeed possible to have too much coconut in a dessert.  I am also disappointed to report that my pie turned out nothing like the pie I had at Z' Tejas.

I ended up using the custard recipe from Cakespy.com.  I will definitely use it again - it was delicious!  The pie crust from Allrecipes was also yummy.  However, combined together, there was just too much coconut.  A buttery pie crust would have been a much better balance with the custard  I used, so I plan on trying it in the future.

I topped my pie with my own creation: Coconut Vanilla Whipped Cream.  Then, I toasted coconut, sprinkled it on top, and drizzled the pie with chocolate.  Think I put enough coconut in this pie?  Major overkill...

Here's how it looked:


Baking with Green Chiles

It's hatch green chile season in Texas, so the grocery stores are brimming with them.  Outside of Central Market last week, there was a guy roasting green chiles, so we couldn't resist picking some up.  Central Market also had a great iPhone app with all sorts of ways to cook or bake with green chiles, so I'm going for it!  I'm going to make...

Hatch Green Chile Cupcakes!

Some of you might think this is a little too "out there", but I just have to try it.  Here's the recipe, which by the way, almost won in Central Market's contest last year:

Ingredients
3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp Saigon cinnamon
1 13.6 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 1/2 cups Smart Balance omega oil
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup roasted Hatch chiles, peeled, seeded and diced
Cream cheese frosting or powdered sugar

Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease muffin tins or fill with paper baking cups.

Mix together dry ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together oil, eggs, vanilla and coconut milk. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until well combined. Fold in pineapple and chiles.

Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Frost with your favorite cream cheese icing or dust with powdered sugar. 
I can't wait to see how they turn out!   To check out all the spicy recipes, go to the Central Market website!

What I'm Learning This Week

"Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:8
 

No comments:

Post a Comment