Thursday, May 5, 2011

Faithfulness and 18 Week Belly

Hi everyone!  I'm still settling in to the idea that we're having a baby girl!  Knowing what we're having means we can now decide on a name, register, and get started on a nursery.  All of the sudden, I feel like I have a crazy amount of stuff to do with very little time to do it in!  I'm 18 weeks - Check it out!



I know the baby will sleep next to our bed for a little while after she's born, but there's something about decorating a nursery that helps me to mentally prepare for this new little life.  It's exciting to set aside a space just for her!  We had her crib delivered today, thanks to Harlan's sweet family.  I can't wait to assemble it!

Harlan and I have very modern taste.  We're definitely not traditional and shy away from super ornate, lacy, or fussy.  I found this picture of a nursery I absolutely love, so we may try and recreate elements of it.  Obviously, ours would have little girl colors and walls that aren't quite so dark, but I love the tree/bird theme.  What do you think?


God's Faithfulness

I just completed an almost year long study of the book of Isaiah through BSF.   2010 was definitely the hardest year of my life to date, and there were many times I almost quit the study because of infertility.  I felt surrounded by young moms or soon-to-be moms, and it seemed cruel that every week I was purposely sticking myself in an environment that seemed mentally unhealthy for me.  However, I heard God encouraging me to stick with it despite these challenges, and I am so glad I did.  Today, I was able to reflect on numerous themes in the book of Isaiah, many of which have to do with God's faithfulness in the midst of suffering.  He has taught me so much, and I'm really going to miss all the young moms I learned so much from this year. 

This past weekend I was able to spend time with two of my besties from college.  Even though we don't see each other near as much as I'd like, we always seem to pick up right where we left off.  I love that kind of friendship.  The beautiful women I spent the weekend with have also experienced God's faithfulness, and I feel doubly blessed to have witnessed it.  I hope to be able to share more about their stories soon, because  there is nothing more rich than seeing His faithfulness play out in two ladies I love to pieces!  Here they are, to the left and right of me, on my wedding day.  Such amazing women, inside and out.  Andrea, I love you and miss you!



My Favorite Dessert - Ever

Strawberry Shortcake.  I love it.  Love it.  Love it.  Somehow, I can justify that it's "healthy" because it has fruit in it.  With summer almost upon us, I thought I'd try a new recipe.  It was delicious, and I totally cheated and used Bisquick! This recipe is fantastic for outdoor BBQs or the 4th of July!





Mmmmm!  I want more right now!

Whew!  Long post - thanks for reading!

"If God is for us, who can be against us? Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:31, 35, 37-39

5 comments:

  1. Rachel! I miss and love you too! You look beautiful. The picture from your wedding made me tear up. It's crazy how much we've all gone thru sice that day. I'm praying for you, Harlan, and sweet Miss Elam. I have to say, I'm kinda disappointed it's a girl. No chance you'd name her Liam, huh? Liam Elam. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, sorry about those tan lines. Yikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is just something so beautiful about knowing that absolutely nothing can separate us from God's love...not even space...not even silence...not even time. Brings me to tears to know how much he loves and how faithful he really is to us...and has truly been to you.

    I have a friend that paints murrels (sp?) on walls and such and she already offerred to paint your walls if you want. Ross designed her website, so I can get that for you if you're interested. The shortcake looks absolutely wonderful. love you raquel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for 18 weeks! I love the nursery idea and bringing nature into the room. I'm sure whatever you do will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thrilled for you two!! congrats. God bless you and your sweet family.
    LC

    ReplyDelete