Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dilemmas


Birthing Center vs. Hospital Birth

Wow!  Time is flying!  My goal has been at least one blog post a week, but I'm not doing a very good job of that...

I'm just a week and a half out from the end of the first trimester.  I've been sick pretty much all day, with a double dose of nausea each night.  We're praying for some relief after the first trimester ends.  So, what have we been up to the last few weeks?  Trying to make a decision - birthing center vs. hospital...

Working at a pregnancy center means I've heard every story in the book on delivering a baby.  I've been present at the birth of 2 of our clients and have even been in the room during a C-section.  All this, and watching a few documentaries on birth, has left me with VERY strong opinions about the way I'd like things to go.  When I'm in pain, I'm a mover.  If I get chained to a hospital bed, hooked up to monitors and IVs for what could be a long labor, I'm not going to do so well!

I went to a regular OBGYN office for my 9 week check up.  We waited over 2 hours just to see the doctor, then waited another half hour in the exam room.  Here's Seinfeld's take on waiting rooms:


When I finally met the doctor, who came highly recommended, he spent about 5 minutes with us.  I didn't have time to ask any questions!  The only high point was seeing Baby Elam again.  At just over 9 weeks, he/she was already so active! 

Next, Harlan and I visited a birthing center.  We had a wonderful tour of the facilities, which were just beautiful.  We met with a midwife, who discussed the pregnancy so far and what to expect in the months to come.  Overall, we loved it.  But, there's still that little voice in the back of my mind, wondering about complications and what might happen if things go wrong.

Then, I talked with a Doula who volunteers at the pregnancy center, and she told me about a hospital-based midwifery practice here in Austin!  The practice is run by 3 OBGYNs and 4 midwives, and they're all about allowing you to labor in the way you see fit, with as little intervention as possible.  You're still at the hospital if something should go wrong.  We feel like we've final found the middle ground and are breathing a sigh of relief!  We have our first appointment with them in a few weeks, so fingers crossed!

Baking:

I made the cute little pies I shared with you last time.  They were super easy, and look how darling they are!



One of my coworkers celebrated her birthday last week, so I made these delicious lemon blueberry cupcakes for the occasion.  I'm really proud of the way they turned out!  Recipe here.


I also found a new baking blog I can't stop looking at.  I want to make every darn thing this lady makes.  Check it out: http://sweetapolita.com/blog/

I thought I'd leave you with the just over 9 week picture of Baby Elam.  Enjoy!
Thank you, Lord, for this amazing miracle. 

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on nearing the end of the 1st trimester, and what a beautiful ultrasound! It sounds like you've found a nice happy medium with the obgyn midwife practice at the hospital. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo for the sickness, but continuing to rejoice with you in the precious miracle growing inside you!!! ;o)
    Just wanted to say that I've had several friends deliver at NAMC (I'm guessing that's where you're talking about) and have had a fabulous experience. I hope you can get in there, because it does seem like the best middle ground option if that's what you feel comfortable with. I personally had a good overall experience at SNW, but had minor hic-ups each time. I love my OB there though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that last option sounds great. For someone who works in a hospital and trust in hospital resources, but also wants the freedom of being able to labor freely, that center sounds great. Please let me know how that goes b/c I think I'd look into it when Ross and I plan to have babies. We'll keep praying for lil elam and for a fully encased and fully developed spine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you've gotten some clarity! great picture! i won't get another for 8 more weeks~

    ReplyDelete