Monday, January 10, 2011

Dusting off the Baking Pans

I had big, grand plans for Christmas baking.  When we found out we were pregnant, all those plans went right out the window. 

Now, I have to big a big girl, hold my head high, and return to the working world.  Today was my first day back after the pregnancy, and it was HARD.  Luckily, I work with some really amazing ladies who made me feel very cared for.  Back to work means back to BAKING!!! 

Last week I made a few things I thought I'd share with you:

Chocolate Chip Scones - Recipe here.

These are really yummy (just ask my husband), and I like that the recipe called for orange juice instead of the typical heavy cream used in most scone recipes.  Here's a picture of how mine turned out.




Apple Pie - Recipe here

I've tried quite a few apple pie recipes, and this one's my favorite.  I don't pour the delicious sauce over the apples, though.  I mix it in with the apples and then pour it into the crust.  Delish.  I think it turned out okay - What do you think?




This week, I thought I'd try out my new mini muffin pan my beautiful mother-in-law (aka Santa) gave me for Christmas.  I've had a hankerin' for something buttery and brown sugary, so what could be better than Brown Sugar Mini Muffins!   

Makes 16 muffins (Click here for full recipe info)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup nuts, chopped coarsely

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or line 16 muffin cups (Or in my case, mini muffin cups).

Combine all ingredients until mixed. Fill prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until done.

Tell me your favorite recipe!

I absolutely love trying new baking recipes.  Do you have one you really love?  Share it with me!  I just might take a picture of it and name the recipe after you...


Last thing.  My boss Pam sent me a book called God Calling by A.J. Russell while I was recovering from the ectopic pregnancy.  It's full of little tidbits of wisdom, some of them super simple, but they are excellent reminders of who God is.  Here's an excerpt from today's:

"Be calm, no matter what may befall you.  Rest in Me.  Be patient, and let patience have her perfect work.  Never think things overwhelming.  How can you be overwhelmed when I am with you?"

So true.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elams! My heart is so sad for all that you two are going through. I can't imagine how hard this is. But, I wanted to thank you for having the courage to share this. I know this will be an encouragement to others going through the same things. God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're candidness is such an encouragement! Thank you for sharing your heart and how the Lord is loving on you both! Praying for the Elams!!

    ReplyDelete